Saturday, December 31, 2016

The PzKpfw III: Lord of the Blitzkrieg



Technically the PzKpfw III was, despite minor faults, a well-balanced basic design which left provision for up-gunning and up-armouring, but by 1942 it was incapable of further modification that would enable it to keep pace with the spiral of gun/armour race. During the high years of Blitzkrieg it was the only weapon in the German tank arsenal that really counted and thus, like Napoleon’s vieux moustaches, it did not merely witness history in the making-it made it, from Channel to the Volga and from the Arctic to the North African desert. This achievement has, perhaps, been overshadowed in recent years by the study of later and more dramatic German designs, but the fact remains that it was the PzKpfw III that brought Hitler closet to achieving his wildest dreams. - Brian Perrett


The Panzer III was the common name of a medium tank that was developed in the 1930s by Germany and was used extensively in World War II. The official German designation was Panzerkampfwagen III Sd Kfz. 141 (abbreviated to PzKpfw III) translating as "armored fighting vehicle number three".

The Panzer III was purpose designed to create a breakthrough on the battlefield and also to fight other armored fighting vehicles. The performance of the Panzer III was adequate in the early years of the war; however as the Germans came to face faced the formidable T-34 and KV-1 in Russia, it was immediately obvious that a stronger main gun with a considerably enhanced anti-tank capability was now needed. The Panzer IV had a bigger turret ring and was capable of mounting a larger main weapon, the traditional roles were therefore reversed. The Panzer IV mounted the long barreled 7.5 cm KwK 40 gun was detailed to fight in tank-to-tank battles, the Panzer III became obsolete in this role and for most purposes was supplanted by the Panzer IV. From 1942, the last version of Panzer III, Ausf. N, mounted the 7.5 cm KwK 37 L/24 short barelled howitzer better suited for infantry support. Production of the Panzer III ended in 1943. However, the Panzer III's capable chassis provided hulls for the Sturmgeschütz III until the end of the war.

1 comment:

  1. The land cast of the river Jordan that was to become the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan in more modern times, Air Jordan Shoes,has been inhabited since the prehistoric period. Primitive axes, knives and scrapers made from materials such as basalt, chalcedony and flint that would have been fashioned and used by the Palaeolithic people who lived here around two million years ago have been discovered during a series of excavations. Archaeological evidence suggests communities continued to live here during the Mesolithic era, or Epipaleolithic Middle Stone Age, and through to the Neolithic period of around 10000-4300bc.

    The Neolithic period is said to have been a progressive time for the region. Farming was becoming more widespread, the use of clay to produce household receptacles was being pioneered and the introduction towards the end of the era and into the Chalcolithic (4300-3300bc), Bronze Ages (3200-1200bc) and Iron Age (1200-586bc) of metal tools, such as axes, hooks and arrowheads, was emerging.

    Communities that until now had lived a more nomadic existence began to settle and live in primitive villages. Ihey cultivated the land with cereals such as barley and wheat, chickpeas and legumes (lentils, beans and peas), Cheap Jordan Shoes,aided by the use of clay pots and tools. This new sustainable food source from the land - which complemented hunting animals for their meat, fishing and living off fruit, olive and nut trees - meant that the population of the region not only became healthier but increased in number. It was largely during this era that the people began to sec the merits of keeping goats and sheep too.

    Although there are believed to be few, if any, archaeological remains from the Palaeolithic and Mesolithic periods in Jordan today, other than in museums, you can see the remains of Neolithic homes, thoroughfares and areas probably used to market products at Ain Ghazal, located just northwest of central Amman. Discovered in 1974, the site is believed to have been a settlement hosting several thousand people between 7250bc and 5000bc. Covering an area of around 15ha, it is considered one of the largest known archaeological sites from the period in the world. jordan releases,,Artefacts discovered here include skulls, tools and plaster statues that have been dated to around 6000bc, which arc now housed in the Jordan Archaeological Museum in Amman. The statues, particularly, arc striking and friendly looking; standing about 90cm (3ft) tall, you are immediately drawn to their eyes, which are made from shells with detailing probably applied with a black tar-like substance, rather like bitumen.

    ReplyDelete